Krystal is a native of Cerinia, a planet outside the Lylat System. Krystal became proficient in using a powerful staff weapon, as well as her natural abilities of telepathy. It has been speculated that she is a Cerinian princess, based on her dress in the preplanned game Dinosaur Planet, her outfit in Star Fox Adventures, and the tiara she wears.
Cerinia was reported to be completely destroyed in an unknown disaster in which both of Krystal's parents died. Krystal, seeking answers concerning her home planet's destruction, journeyed to the Lylat System, where she came to Sauria after receiving a distress call during her search.
Upon arriving at Sauria, Krystal immediately learned of the troubles of the planet's natives, and their peril at the hands of General Scales and his SharpClaw army. General Scales had attacked the Krazoa Palace and caused the six Krazoa Spirits to flee from their sanctuary. The Krazoa spirits scattered all over the planet, and began to die. At the same time, the planet itself began to break apart, poised to explode.
In an effort to turn the tide of war and undo the damage Scales did, the young vixen agreed to help the Saurians return the six Krazoa Spirits to the Krazoa Palace and save Sauria from destruction. However, Krystal only got as far as retrieving the first Krazoa spirit from the bowels of the temple. Upon releasing the spirit into the temple's interior, she was attacked by Andross, who pushed her into an energy being and imprisoned her in a crystalline cell at the top of the palace. Krystal would remain there until all of the Krazoa Spirits were reunited.
Krystal's life-force began to be drained by the crystal, until Fox McCloud of the Star Fox Team arrived to save the planet. Fox first contacted Krystal via her staff, which he retrieved from the ground after Krystal lost it while in mid-air combat with Scales' galleon. Krystal had left telepathic instructions on how to use it, and Fox soon learned how to use it to aid in his mission. Fox was directly contacted by Krystal when he heard the echoes of Krystal's telepathic cries for help, (Oddly, still in Saurian.) with the Krazoa Spirit Krystal released imploring Fox to save her.
After the Krazoa Spirits are returned to the palace, Krystal is freed from her incarceration, only to quickly brush Fox aside to take the staff from him. It was at this time Andross revealed himself, having used the energies of the Krazoa, Krystal herself and Cerinia (which he destroyed) to revive himself. Krystal attempted to shoot Andross down with her staff as he departed to conquer the Lylat System, but it proved ineffective, and Fox journeyed into space in his Arwing to defeat his arch-nemesis once again.
In the aftermath that followed, Krystal regretted her cold demeanor towards Fox, and sought to apologize to him for her actions and thank him for all of his help. Krystal initially sent a message for this, but docked with the Great Fox and thanked Fox and his assembled team in person. Fox, however, was too shy around her to respond. ROB 64 unintentionally revealed Fox was infatuated with Krystal, who appeared to reciprocate. Afterward, Fox and Krystal would begin building a relationship throughout the future installments in the series.
Krystal became a member of the Star Fox team and proved herself to be a competent pilot and ally. She shows great experience in space combat and is able to hold her own in a space fighter, for she is attacked less than the others. She is also never against taking the fight on foot and she shows excellent skill in close-quarters fighting and far ranged shooting with fire arms. The game's story delved more into Krystal's psychic ability more in this installment than in the previous title. Her telepathic powers even enabled her to detect thought patterns from others as revealed on several occasions.
The story also goes deeper into Krystal's relationship with Fox, this is easily seen during Sauria's mission briefing when she showed pleasure about sharing a mission with Fox. After beating the Sauria mission, Fox and Krystal ride Prince Tricky, and he says that they can "Come back on your honeymoon!" Krystal is amused and enticed by this, but Fox seems surprised, and stammers, "What! What're you, nuts?!? We aren't... We're not yet! Uh... Not yet?" They continue to bicker, and Fox says, "This isn't a conversation for children!" to which Tricky replies with, "You said you weren't gonna treat me like a kid anymore!" Krystal finally breaks up the tiff by saying, "All right, that's enough, boys!". Then the scene cuts to the normal status report.
The Command incarnation of Krystal shed a different light on her character, with a stoic persona.
In the game's prologue, we learn that Fox had a growing concern for her safety and had her discharged from the team, which explains the alteration in personality. Heartbroken and ashamed, she left and wasn't heard from again for some time. Depending on the player's decisions, it is discovered that she has either become a member of Star Wolf or a pilot in the Cornerian fleet.
While she is a part of the Star Wolf team, it appears that she has begun a relationship with Panther, but it is later revealed that she has merely used him to achieve her own goals. In the game she uses her custom made Arwing, the Cloud Runner.
How Krystal ends up after Command remains a mystery. In most of the games endings she reunites with Fox and once again rejoins the Star Fox team. However in some endings she instead chooses to remain with Panther and the rest of Star Wolf (or in the default ending's case, she initially joins the Star Fox team, but then ends up leaving and joining Star Wolf later). In one of the games endings she is unable to live up to the choices she made in the past, and takes on a new life as a bounty hunter named Kursed. Alternatively in another ending she and Fox both leave the team to live a new life together. Eventually the two are married and have a son, named Marcus McCloud.
Super Smash Sisters
Krystal is one of the main girls in Super Smash Sisters. She is unlocked automatically. For a comic relief, she is known to be nude in front of women.
- B: Fire Blaster: Krystal points her staff forward and shoots a red ball of energy forward at her opponent. She can repeat it as long as she likes.
- B Side: Graceful Staff: Krystal starts her combo by doing a graceful left swing, then goes forward doing a turning low swing to the legs, then a diagonal up left swing and ends with a straight thrust that knocks her opponent badly away.
- B Up: Aura Vixen: Krystal spins her staff for the camera as she glows blue. She then shoots upwards while spinning her staff out in front as she shouts "Dodge this!". Using the thumb pad can alter her pattern.
- B Down: Ground Quake: Krystal glows her staff with blue energy then jumps up and strikes the ground with her staff giving a shockwave that knocks opponents to the ground.
- Final Smash: Wrath of the Krazoa: Krystal raises her left hand shouting "Oh Krazoa! Help me in my fight!" then the 6 Krazoa appear in front of her. She then pushes her arm forward shouting "Take her!" then the Krazoas fly for the opponent. If they connect, the spirits enter the opponent and cause internal pain. After 10 hits, they blast out while the opponent is knocked away. After the Krazoa fly off, Krystal says "Thank you Krazoa. You are so kind."
Meryl's Codec Message
- Meryl:Dr. Naomi, there's a blue fox and she's fast!
- Dr. Naomi:Ah, you appear to be fighting Krystal, Meryl. Krystal is a vixen originating from the dead world known as Cerinia. She found refuge on Sauria and did her best to help them save that planet. She was rescued by Fox McCloud and in return, joined Star Fox. Krystal fights with both a magic staff and telepathic abilities.
- Meryl:Snake does have a long fox history.
- Dr. Naomi:You would be surprised if Krystal read your mind.